Memorial Day in Leadville

By KimA Day in the LifeLeave a Comment

We decided to spend Memorial Day weekend up in Leadville. It was a little cool but a nice relaxing weekend for the most part. This would be our first time where we allowed the girls to bring a friend. Our car has only one extra seat so this time was Helene’s turn. Reagan was feeling a little left out so we decided to head out to Turquoise Lake to blow off some energy. Spring time at the lake is so weird. It is filled throughout the spring with snow melt. Its usually not until sometime in mid June until the lake is full. Until then its a weird moon like environment with streams flowing and filling the crater. You literally get to walk along the bottom of the lake. As the streams fill the lake bottom various small “islands” are formed. All of which make perfect exploration time for the kiddos.



The girls wasted no time taking off their shoes and crossing several streams. They are insane. This water is freezing, freshly ,melted snow. But, they have no reservations.


We posed for a couple more shots before heading deeper into the crater.



The girls found some larger mounds to climb and butt slide down. The mounds were made up of thousands of rocks. Funny to see what lies at the bottom of a lake. Surprisingly enough, this one is just rock after rock.


Reagan is always a big fan of the little islands. She wanted to show them off to Mom. We spent a good 20 minutes out here just throwing rocks into the water and splashing Reagan as each landed. Good times.


We went back to the cabin and played outside for a bit before heading inside for games. Finally it was bed time. Away to the bunks.


Sunday morning we woke up to a temp of 40 degrees and light snow. Helene was cold and soon vomiting. She spent the day resting in bed or watching Phineas and Ferb. Brandon took our girls on quick ATV rides before it was soon too cold for them as well. Spring time in Leadville is unpredictable at best. But at least our buddy still came around our lot for his nightly rounds.


Monday morning Helene was better and on the go. We packed up, cleaned up and were on the road. But not before getting one more shot with our buddy Wyatt. His health was heading down hill all weekend and we had a feeling this would be his last weekend up at his beloved cabin. Sad to say this was true. But, at least he went out with a bang. He loved this place and we are so happy he got to be here for a couple of years with us. He would roam his property several times and day and enjoy all the smells it had to offer. You were the BEST dog ever. You are so missed.